Geoengineering threatens Oceans
- Small scale equipment testing in Australia (2020): sparying sea water into clouds
- Sets a precedent vs. the moratorium
- This tech will not protect against acidification in any case
Review of some ongoing experiments and risks
Use list of ongoing experiments Partial
Factsheets on Geoengineering
- Review of most technologies
- Cirrus Cloud thinning
- Stratospheric Aerosol Injection
- Microbubbles / sea foam
- Artificial Upwelling
- Ocean fertilization
- Surface Albedo Modification
- Enhanced Photosnthesis
- Direct Air Capture
- Carbon Capture Use and Storage
- Bio-energy with CCS
- Enhanced weathering
- Marine Cloud Brightening Project
- Map of ongoing / past / planned experiements
- Also includes weather modification
- Only 12 activities on SRM
FAQs on 1,5C and geoengineering
- Negative emissions: Most economic scenarios rely on the idea that we will use CCS on a massive scale in 2nd half of century. Unrealistic: 10-30 years of global emissions to be removed
- CCS - leaks / not a mature tech
- BECCS - will the carbon stay sequestered? + monoculture is a threat
- What is the problem with geoengineering?
- It will have to be massive scale = consequences will be global
- Unproven and have not been tested = uncertainty
- If it does work = reinforce global injustice
- Real impact can only be determined once it is deployed
- Perfect excuse for those who protect the status quo
- Who are the main players / key drivers of geoengineering?
- Global north, "some companies", scientists
- if it is possible to artificially cool the planet and rein in global warming, then this technology becomes a very potent resource – not least in the hands of powerful states, which would attempt to adjust the global thermostat in whichever direction best served their strategic interests.
- Are there any international rules on geoengineering?
- UN Convention on Biological Diversity has acted as the forum for critical discussions
- 2008 - Called for moratorium on ocean fertilization due to impact on marine ecosystems
- 2010 - broadened de facto moratorium to include all geoeng
- Ocean fertilization is seen as a pollution under the London Convention
- 2019 UN Environmental Assembly - fail to push for moratorium due to massive opposition from high emitting and oil producing countries
- What does international civil society say about geoengineering?
- Clearer positions
- Geoengineering serves the interests of climate polluters and deniers
- International civil society networks are campaigning vs. introduction of geoeng and its "normalization" in these forums
Yet they oppose testing more
Just like man made climate change
Interesting angle. Indeed, it can be used as a weapon = it will be used as a weapon = the military will research it whatever we might do
just talking about it is an issue
Manipulating Mother Nature: The gendered antagonism of geoengineering
- Male gaze on Mother Nature
- Geoengineering: A patriarchal fallacy to save "business as usual"
- The ultimate hubris
- Geoengineering is a belief that tech can "solve" the climate crisis
- The ultimate techno-fix
- This entails a Stratospheric Aerosol Injection where even the word, “injection” brings to mind phallic images of penetration.
blabla about pre capitalism reverence of Mother Nature etc.