- Research lacks support, political
- US vs. China points of view: see the same science / have different goals
- Can it be used as a weapon? No
- Clear that geoeng is not an alternative to mitigation and adaptation
- "When used in moderation" and combined with emission cuts, has the potential to reduce worst impacts of climate change: models shows. Even better than stopping all emissions tomorrow.
Point on the "moderation" ... we don't need to go full blown
- There is not lobbying group in US instutions to support Solar Geoeng today. But there is potential to form one
- <0.3% of climate science budgets on Solar Geoeng in 2018
- China and US experts have similar views but differ in Governance proposals and desired climate scenarios (lower RF in US vs. China)
- Geoengineering experts push for more geoengineering than Climate experts
- Can Geoeng be used as a weapon?
- Basis for doing research: it has the potential to reduce risks for the world's poorest
- Fear linked to interest of military to modify climate (ex. Vietnam)
- There are comparisons being made with nuclear weapons: it could be used to wage war / Need for a global governance etc.
- This is grossly overstated / ît cannot be a useful weapon
- Weapons need to be precise (space, time and effect). Geoengineering is not
- Stratospheric aerosol injection: there are only a few knobs (latitude) ... but it will disperse accross the athmosphere / at least in the same emisphere
- Only climate effects could be generated ... not weather effects. There is then a long chain between climate effect and climate impact
- There is no physical basis for targeting specific impacts at specific countries
- Other local techs (marine cloud brightening ...)
- Would be very difficult to produce long term local effects
- Effects will have consequences in other parts of the globe
- Conceivable that it could be used for limited weather control, but still military value would be low
- Weaponisation is science fiction: low earth orbiting sunshades for example
- This is a theoretical problem, not real world problem. It is distracting. This is why it is not mentioned in any reports
They see the same science. But have different goals already. Use this
this doesn't mean it can't create a threat to peace. Ex. one countries does regional engineering ... which leads to changes globaly and triggers a war.
- Space based solar geoengineering