- Definition of "geoengineering" are vague
- Geoengineering refers to a broad set of methods and technologies that aim to deliberately alter the climate system in order to alleviate the impacts of climate change.
- The potential global impact is important in the definition
- Criteria for assessing the different techs
- Sustainability (reversible? long term commitment?)
- Enviro risks
- Costs and affordability
- Detection and attribution: can we measure consequences (intended or not) and attribute them to the tech?
- Governance Challenges
- Ethical issues
- Social acceptability
- Uncertainty on all of these criteria
- Reference to Royal Society report 2009 for classification of methods
Call Out for personal thoughts