Geoengineering: A Horrible Idea We Might Have to Do
To support Kurzgesagt and learn more about Brilliant, go to https://www.brilliant.org/nutshell and sign up for free. The first 200 people that go to that lin...
- Story about end of the century: grim
- We are failing .. .we might need to do something radical
- Will it make it all much worse? or undo what we have done?
- What is it?
- Is it an option?
- What if it goes wrong?
- Focus on Stratospheric Aerosol Injection
- Basic on climate: energy comes in and is trapped = like a blanket in your bed
- Albedo: 29% already
- Sulfure dioxide: nasty smelling
- We could imitate this: easy? cheap?
- Side effects
- Change rainfall / famine
- Heated up the stratosphere (pinatubo) + damage to ozone layer
- Delay the switch to carbon neutral economy / acidification of oceans will continue
- Termination problem: we add CO2 + we block = time bomb. If we stop ... things will happen very quickly.
- Best case: it buys us time
- Scary / not a solution / might be an excuse ... very controversial so we stopped investigating ... short sighted
- We are already are doing geoengineering in a sense
- Hopefully we don't need it ... but if we do, we better have done the science ... or a PANICKING humanity might act in urgency
We need to investiagte to avoid acting in panic mode later...