- In the past Space technologies seemed more plausible than atmospheric SRM
- Today it is the opposite: space based is rarely mentioned or explicitly excluded and dismissed
- Only 2% of solar geoeng discuss space based techs in detail
- Space enthuiasts don't seem to be interested ... which is weird since they talk about terra forming mars, moving industry into space etc.
- They brought space entrepreneurs / writers / experts with counterparts in geoengineering for a meeting
- Technology is several decades out
- Simplest: constant position screen at L1
- Capturing 1% of radiation = counteract 50% of current warming = screen Area of Egypt (likely many times that)
- Gathering asteroid dust near the L1?
- Many ideas but they all need a first level of screening / alls seem implausible
- There are techno paths for 1% screen by end of century
- low earth orbit not practical: debris / flickering
- Not an alternative to emissions reductions
- Not a plausible short or mid term solution, but does come with advantages
- More even cooling
- Less governance issues?