Stop solar geo | #Sayno2solargeo
The SCoPEx project is controversial since it is a real-world experiment that intends to release particles in the atmosphere. While the first flight intended for June 2021 would not release particles, it's sole purpose was to test equipment to enable release in subsequent flights.
- Campaign by Swedish indigenous people to stop planned research on SRM in Sweden.
- Solar Geoengineering cannot be controlled: it will escape the hands of those doing research
- Like all other tech it is not a tool against climate injustice
What's wrong with "It's just about research"
- Technology needs to be developed to perform the research. Technology used in research will eventually be used to deploy. It will escape the scientist's control.
- We never managed to control GMOs, human cloning, weapons, pathogens ...
- Termination shock alone shows that this should not be done
- Even the studies cannot give us an idea of the real risk
- Fallacy of believing in a plan B: It is a distraction from reduction
- SCoPEx (project by Harvard in northern Sweden), was done without consulting local Sami Council = this shows this technology will not be used to protect the most impacted / it is not for their benefit
- No one ever listens to the global south ... why would it start now?